Wednesday, October 7, 2009

It Would Be Boss If I Had Floss

You know how half the time it's the Bishop's kid who is the biggest trouble-maker in the church? Just 'cause the dad has got it together doesn't mean the whole family does too.

And just like that, though I may be the son of a dental hygienist it doesn't mean I have my dental habits all figured out. This is my "Daniel the Younger" conversion story to Dental Floss...

(I know it's random, I just liked this picture)

Believe it or not, I didn't use my floss like I should. I always had a huge stock of the stuff because my mom gives it to us for free and I never used it more than once a week (sometimes it would be even longer than that -- gross, I know)! I guess I just didn't believe that it actually helped all that much. However, lately I've been on this flossing kick and my gingiva have never felt better! I'm flossing religiously once a day after I brush. And though it hurt the first few times, it's like my buddy Ralph Waldo Emerson says: "That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do; not that the nature of the thing itself is changed, but that our power to do is increased." (This is beginning to sound a little too much like a church talk, so I'm gonna switch gears).

My toothbrush and my floss have become a dynamic duo. It's kind of turned into a love affair. Like my toothbrush is singing to my floss:

I'm a movement by my self, Ooh
But I'm a Force when we're together.
Mami, I'm good all by myself,
But Baby you, you make me better!

How romantic!

So, to conclude my thought, I wanted to consult the...

Wheel of Morality, turn turn turn;
Tell us the lesson that we should learn.

And the moral of the story is (drum roll please):

You can have your cake AND eat it
when you practice good oral hygiene!

5 comments:

Chrissy Mooney said...

Daniel you are a random guy. But it's ok, this post totally makes sense to me. I forget to floss too. Hopefully your determination will inspire me to floss daily!

Jennifer said...

haha. love it.

emily Stoddard said...

You are one of those dream patients. I knew I liked you Daniel Mooney!

Carolyn said...

also, "they" have found that flossing=longer life. check it:
http://www.21stcenturydental.com/smith/education/floss.htm

http://stanford.wellsphere.com/dental-health-article/floss-your-teeth-live-longer/441587

:)

Alison Rae said...

Ok so did I know that your Mom is a dental hygienist? Did you know that my mom is too??!! Haha but I can totally relate to this!!