Tuesday, September 22, 2009

California Coast via CYCLE!

I was invited by my good friend Dan Ricks to go with him, his family and some friends on an adventure of a lifetime this July! We rode our bikes 365 miles from just south of San Francisco at Half Moon Bay to Santa Barbara at 70 plus miles a day in five days, camping every night all along the coast! It was so long, and so challenging, but so beautiful, and so rewarding that words cannot do justice of describing the experience. But I will attempt to describe it by means of photographs I took. Unfortunately, it was difficult to get the peloton to stop for every breathtaking scenic view because there were MANY!... but I stopped and took some pictures anyway. So here they are:

We ended our first day at Monterrey Bay and our campsite was right next to these strawberry fields... Ooooh they smelled so sweet combined with the salty air from the ocean!

The four young dudes: Jess, Dakin, Dan, and me

Here we saw these pelicans diving into the water and dolphins jumping out of the water! Seriously!



I think the lady who was walking by who we asked to take our picture said this is called "Lovers' Point" or something... It's in Monterrey, home of John Steinbeck.




This is the "Lone Cypress" found along 17-Mile Drive at Pebble Beach.


This just looks like a pirate ship should be berthed here!

Of course I had to stop and take a picture of the beautiful bridge! What can I say, I'm a Civil Engineer at heart!
We had to ride up that road... see how it curves around that mountain? We had to climb that!!


King of the Rock!
At the end of the last day, which included 92 miles... we were pooped!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

so, i totally commented on this before, but you look hott. ok, yes.