Saturday, November 14, 2009

October 17, 2009

Being as my family moved to Arizona 4 years ago, I feel sort of like a "visitor" whenever I go back to California. So, when my longtime friend from the growing up years, Chad Arnold, got married it was like making my pilgrimage back to my homeland for a weekend in October. I was fortunate enough to have Ian Shepley and Randy Gilliland as my wing-men... co-adventurers if you will. Like Lewis and Clark, and that french guy, whatever his name was (I couldn't pronounce it let alone spell it!) Okay, maybe not quite as extreme as those guys, but what an adventure it was!

We embarked on the journey Thursday afternoon and we took our time getting there, with some stops in Springville, Provo for some forgotten stuff, and a very fun-filled stop in Vegas to catch up with a good friend, Sterling Snedigar (yes, in that order, hahah). Sterling has been slummin' it up in Vegas for the last year and so he showed us around the sights on the strip. My favorite was the Bellagio water show, played to "One, Singular Sensation." Seriously, so breathtaking! (see the picture I took on my phone below)! Afterwards, Sterling let us crash at his place for the night.


Eventually we got to Huntington Beach the next day. And after a nice dinner with the Shepleys at the Cheesecake Factory, we saw "Where The Wild Things Are" (seriously sort of a weird movie... no plot, whatsoever, and no resolution at the end because of the lack of plot. Wait 'till it's at the dollar theater or on tv).

Then on Saturday, the day of the wedding, we started it out with some surfing in the morning... EARLY morning! We got up at 5 AM and that was before daylight savings so it was completely dark! When we pulled up to the beach, all I could do was listen to the waves because the ocean was a big black mass! But, once we got suited up and started, it was so nice: good water, good light, good surf, good friends. And in case you were wondering, yes, I got up! Even if only for about 1.5 seconds, I got up!

Then, I jetted up to Santa Monica for the wedding, as fast as the crowded freeways would let me! The ceremony was so beautiful and it was so good to see so many faces I haven't seen in so long! Chad and Lindsie were so happy and it made me so happy I cried. Then the luncheon was back in Alta Loma, where I grew up, and I made sure to take the scenic route to get there! And after 4 years of being away, I amazed myself how well I navigated my way around that day! I was on a sentimental journey; I passed by my alma mater, Alta Loma High, the old church, my old house and neighborhood! Wow, and then there was the luncheon and reception, where I was on a trip back in time! So many familiar faces. It was enough for me to come for Chad's wedding and to see how happy he was, but to see so many longtime friends was like icing on the cake (see the pictures below for some of the events of that day)!



So, this post is dedicated to the beautiful couple, Chad and Lindsie Arnold, who were sealed in the Los Angeles Temple for time and eternity. Wow! Way to be. Best wishes for a lifetime of adventures for you two and more! I love you guys!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

hey really good post. i love you