Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The "Art"(?) of Curling


Yesterday, I came home from school in the afternoon and decided I wanted to watch some Olympics. However, NBC decided that they wanted to save the good stuff for "primetime". Can you guess what they put on instead?

Curling!

It has got to be the strangest and most boring sport ever invented! And yet, I found myself glued to the TV. I watched this spectacle for a solid half hour. I felt like Brian Regan when he was watching fishing... even taping fishing! There's just no sinking much lower than that.

Well, after my experience yesterday, I can say that watching curling gives watching fishing a run for its money! I have been trying to find a suitable place where curling stands among the ranks of other odd sports and after much consideration, here's what I got...

1. It's below bowling because you cheat! It's not just you out there, you have not one, not two, but THREE other teammates helping you and guiding the stone the entire way down the alley! Plus, at least bowling requires some physical ability.

2. For the same reasons curling also lies below the sports of shuffleboard and bocce ball. I love bocce ball by the way...

3. Slightly below cheese rolling due to the fact that there's absolutely zero risk of injury, let alone all the broken limbs and things that can happen in that crazy hill rolling activity.

4. Pool is very similar, but it has a just a slight edge on curling because you're all by yourself and I think it takes more coordination to sink 8 balls into the table pockets.

However, I believe it does sit slightly higher than the following sports/games:

  • darts
  • paper football
  • checkers
  • connect four
  • I don't know the name of the game but trying to see how close you can slide an object to the edge of the table without it falling down
  • and dozens of other crazy games people might play when they're drunk because if you're drunk while playing curling there's danger of stumbling and getting a concussion on the hard ice.

I just feel sorry for those poor announcers who have to cover that sport. What is there to say other than, "Well, he shouldn'a thrown it like that"?

1 comment:

Annie said...

I LOVE curling! It's funny that you said you were disappointed when it came on because I sat and watched it yesterday with a keen interest! Haha. To each his own. I think I like it because it's one of the few "team" sports the winter Olympics has to offer. Maybe you should have a blog post dedicated to your love of figure skating...I'm just sayin.